AT THE MARKET

Short Story

Cambodia




Under a hot sun, a car from The South East Asia Hotel collected Simone Fox from Pochentong International Airport. At the hotel, a large gentleman with a grey beard was waiting for her. Professor Martin Green introduced himself before taking Simone to the market, where he had lost the rare liquid. "This is where it happened," Martin explained. "I bought a ring at this shop, but when I went to put it in my bag, it had disappeared." "What ? The ring ?" asked Simone. "No, the bag," explained Martin.


"I saw a woman take it," the shopkeeper said. "I told my husband, but he said she was probably his wife, so I didn't do anything." "These witnesses saw a woman take your bag, Martin. Do you remember any woman standing near you at the time ?" asked Simone. "No, but there are probably a lot of shoplifters around here," Martin replied. "I came with my friend, Dr Linda Croft. By the time I'd bought the ring, however, she'd already left. She said it was hot and had a headache." "Who's Dr Linda Croft ?" asked Simone. "One of the scientists attending the conference," Martin answered. "I shall have to investigate her, when we get back," said Simone. "Oh, you couldn't possibly suspect her," continued Martin. "She's such a nice, helpful woman. She even helped me yesterday with the lock on my door." "What happened ?" asked Simone. "Well, I couldn't lock my door, because the lock had been damaged. Linda kindly offered to mend it for me, but I didn't like to waste her time and changed rooms instead."

Back at the hotel, Simone checked the lock on Martin's old room and then his friend, Dr Linda Croft, on her computer. As she thought, Linda Croft was not a scientist at all. She was a well-known spy. "She will have left her room by the time I reach it," Simone thought as she picked up the phone. Linda Croft was waiting for the next flight to Bangkok at Pochentong International Airport. Her baggage had been checked through to London. Simone relaxed in her room. "The police will have prepared their trap at Heathrow Airport by the time she arrives," she reflected. "What a relief. Now I can relax and read the newspaper."


Newer Post
Previous
This is the last post.
[blogger]

MKRdezign

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget